Friday, October 22, 2010

Premature Indulgence

Last night was the 30th anniversary of the Phillies 1980 World Series win. The commentators mentioned this as the Phillies - Giants game dragged on for 3-1/2 hours. Hey, you've got to say something while the batter re-fastens his gloves for the third time and the pitcher stares in at the catcher longer (but less lovingly) than Kate Winslet gazed at Leonardo DiCaprio as he sank into the frigid North Atlantic.

Ah yes, I remember October 21, 1980 well. The Phillies had gone since 1915 without a championship at that point. There had been close calls in 1950, 1964, and the late '70s, but to no avail. Surely, they would find a way to break Phillies fans' hearts again. But the Phils had a lead! This could be it! Even though it was a Tuesday night, I had a celebratory drink. Then the Royals rallied. I had a drink to soften the blow of the inevitable collapse. But they held on! I had an anticipatory drink. Then the Royals put runners on base. I had yet another drink to calm my nerves. Finally, Tug McGraw struck out Willie Wilson and the Phillies were World Champions. If that doesn't call for a drink, what does?

Unfortunately, I was still hungover when the Phils had their Victory Parade two days later. "That's OK, There will be plenty more Phillies championships and I'll definitely make it to those parades."

Not exactly. I regretted my October 21, 1980 indulgence for 28 long years until the Phils finally won it again in 2008. Could nearly three decades of futility be punishment for my premature indulgence in 1980? I'm not taking any chances. This year, my liquid intake is limited to diet soda. Go, Phils!

No comments:

Post a Comment