Thursday, December 17, 2009

Benefit Changes

In an effort to recoup all those lobbying expenses against the Health Care Bill, Capital Blue Cross has done it again. Their annual letter thanking me for re-enrolling includes these "Benefit Changes" for 2010:

Emergency Room co-pay is increased to $100. "Honey! The power saw slipped and I just sliced off my arm! There's blood everywhere. I'm losing consciousness. Take me to the Emergency Room." "Hang in there, dear. I've got to go to the ATM and withdraw $100 first."

Coverage for flu vaccine is added. "Immerse your entire body in Purell before going to school, kids. Got to protect against that H1N1. I know it's a pain now, but after the New Year you can get a free flu shot."

Specialty medications for hemophilia will no longer be covered under my medical benefit. They will be covered only when ordered through the mail order specialty pharmacy vendor. "Dad! Anastasia cut herself and it won't stop bleeding!" "Quick, Alexandra, go on line and order the hemophilia meds. Better request overnight delivery. Little Anastasia is white as a sheet already."

But seriously folks...we Americans demand the best health care and expect someone else to pay for it. It is an untenable situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment