Monday, February 8, 2010

Geezer Rock

This year's Super Bowl telecast had it all - a compelling game, clever commercials, and a rendition of the National Anthem that took less time than the actual bombardment of Fort McHenry. Sadly, it also had intimations of my own mortality. Were those tired old men performing at halftime really The Who?

The Who was the band of choice for rebellious youth in the late 60s. They were loud and destructive and sang of disillusionment and anger. They shattered their guitars and blew up their drum sets. Their drummer died of an overdose before that became fashionable. The Who was the soundtrack of my three years in the Army. No group understands loud, destructive, and disillusioned music better than young soldiers. "My Generation" and "Won't Get Fooled Again" speak to you while you're digging out of a frozen mudhole in Korea.

Fast forward to The Bridgestone Halftime Show XLIV years later. When Roger Daltrey sang, "I woke up in Soho doorway, a policeman knew my name", it seemed rather disingenous. Of course, he knows your name Roger, you have enough money to own Soho. Roger didn't even insert the magic "f word" in the chorus of "Who Are You?". After the infamous "wardrobe malfunction" a few years ago, the NFL and the networks are rather sensitive about what gets broadcast during Super Bowl halftime and even The Who wants to collect their performance paycheck.

Pete Townshend did the windmilling guitar thing, but there was no destruction. Bridgestone wouldn't want their show to set a bad example for the youth of America.

I guess that we all sold out. The Who didn't do "My Generation" last night. It goes:

"People try to put us down
Just because we get around.
Things they do look awful cold
Hope I die before I get old."

Roger, Pete, and I chose to get old and in their case at least, rich. So much for rebellious youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment