Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Psyched Up

Why did I never achieve athletic glory?

Other than my complete lack of foot speed and hand-eye coordination, there must be another reason. After all, I did "psych" myself up before games with raucous music. "Drums of Passion" by Olantunge was a particular favorite in my high school days. If that tom-tom beat and gutteral shouting didn't make you want to rip out the lungs of your opponent, you were comatose.

Sports Radio answered my long-standing question last night. Two Sports Psychologists were asked whether pre-game music influences athletic performance. They agreed that it does though "one size does not fit all". One psychologist was amazed to find that a college football player psyched himself up for big games by listening to Neil Diamond. "Forever in Blue Jeans" would not seem likely to inspire one to athletic greatness, but the psychologist claimed that Diamond's songs probably were the soundtrack to traumas in the player's life. "He was striking out against his opponent as a surrogate for the hurts he had suffered."

Before I next go swimming, I'm plugging "Touching You Touching Me" or "September Morn" into the old iPod. Look out, pool record times! Hello, Olympic tryouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment