Friday, August 7, 2009

D'Oh! Moments

The D'Oh! Moment originally popularized by Homer Simpson consists of a foolish action, followed by a "D'Oh" (head slap optional), and completed with a questionably effective remedy.

For example, Homer Homeowner might trip over his backyard grill in the dark, breaking its gas feed line. D'Oh! Homer then flicks his Bic to survey the damage. Ka Boom!

Homer CEO nearly bankrupts his firm via risky highly-leveraged investments in securities that no one understands. The market crashes. D'Oh! Fortunately, Homer's firm is "too big to fail" and the government bails him out.

Jon "Homer" Corzine, NJ Governor signs a law limiting handgun purchases to one gun per month per person. D'Oh! I've got two hands here, Homer. I need a gun for each. The Second Amendment guarantees me the right to clean out Wal-Mart's stock of Glock 9 mm's in one fell swoop if I want. How can I effectively protect my home if I only have one handgun and I have to stop and re-load it while the bad guys just keep on coming?

If "Homer" Corzine were running for re-election as PA governor, signing that Gun Bill would be the same as signing over the lease on the Governor's Mansion. See ya, Home Boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment