Thursday, August 13, 2009

Shouts and Whimpers

Amid the shouts (Obama wants to euthanize Grandma!) and whimpers (Papua New Guinea has a lower infant mortality rate than Chicago!) arising from the current Health Care Debate, are two time-proven facts:

1. Health Care Programs will always change and not for the better.
2. People hate change.

In 1978, I endured a five day surgical hospital stay. My corporate medical coverage resulted in a whopping out-of-pocket cost of $10, $2 per day for the TV in my room. In 1988, I endured a 21 day surgical hospital stay. The same corporate medical coverage resulted in a $1,500 bill that had to be paid before I could be released from the tender mercies of the mean nurse/vampire who delighted in drawing blood from me while I slept. I tremble at what my out-of-pocket costs might be today.

What happened between 1978 and 1988? My corporation switched medical insurance carriers several times and with each "Employee Benefits Update", coverage decreased and my contribution increased. Change was invariably bad. I hate change.

The rationale for this is that medical costs increased as well. True enough. In 1978, you had to go to Geisinger in Danville for an MRI. By 1988, there were MRI machines on every other street corner. Those machines and the resulting improved diagnoses don't come cheap. Doesn't matter. Improved diagnostic tool change may be good, but paying for it is bad. I still hate change.

As a reasonable adult, I await the final version of the new Health Care Program before I bring flaming torches and pitchforks to my Congressman's next Town Hall Meeting. I know that change is inevitable. In my gut and based on my past experience, I also feel that this change will not be good. I hate change.

No comments:

Post a Comment