Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Proper, Courteous, and Professional

The "Workplace" column in today's newspaper is in Q & A format. Paraphrasing and adding comments in parentheses:

Q: Is there any law pertaining to how layoffs should be handled? Is an e-mail stating, ""Your services are no longer required" legal?

A: It's legal (Of course it is! If your boss can legally rummage through your personal possessions, spy on your internet usage, and tap your body fluids for drugs in the workplace, he can certainly fire you any way he wants) but it's also shameful.

Paul Munoz, president of HR Group, Inc. understands why some managers resort to it. It helps to minimize anxiety or fear over having to tell someone his or her position is being eliminated. (Oh, the anxiety and fear that those poor managers suffer when saying, "Your job is kaput, but I'm still getting my salary and bonuses. What are you reaching for there? A gun!")

It also saves time if a company has several locations. It is an efficient way of communicating the decision. ("One keystroke and I've eliminated fifty positions! What ever shall I do with the rest of my managerial day? Can I get a late morning tee time at the country club?")

The drawbacks outweigh the benefits. The electronic good-bye reduces the morale of the employees left behind (Though it certainly strikes fear in their hearts) as they see their employer as cold and stand-offish (As if there is a warm and fuzzy way of giving someone the axe. "Bob, you're the greatest. We would like to give you the opportunity to share your brilliance with the rest of the world rather than keeping you all to ourselves.)

Telling downsized employees that their position is eliminated on a face-to-face basis is proper, courteous, and professional. (And American corporations are nothing if not proper, courteous, and professional. When I got the axe, my boss was accompanied by a jack-booted security guard who properly, courteously, and professionally watched as I packed my personal belongings, accompanied me to my car, and made sure that I gave up my employee ID card and parking pass. Now I know that it could have been worse. I could have received the bad news by e-mail and walked the Last Mile accompanied by a robot.)

No comments:

Post a Comment