Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Our Song

Last night's episode of "Glee" included a semi-believable plot twist. It was not that high school kids instantaneously achieve perfect choreography, costumes, and live background musicians for several "numbers" per show. Nor was it that the teachers and students are always in the hallways sorting out their personal problems rather than in class. The plot twist that struck a personal chord was when the Glee Club's coach's estranged wife torpedoed his blossoming affair with the Guidance Counselor by noting that Coach "Shoe" recycled the theme song from their (his and the estranged wife's) prom as their (his and the Guidance Counselor's) song.

Back in my Chauferring the Middle School Girls From the Friday Night Movies Days, I recall much discussion from the back of the minivan regarding the Prom of Their Dreams. One girl sighed, "You'll always remember the last song that is played at your Senior Prom." I barely suppressed a cynical guffaw. Then, I realized that I had no idea what my Senior Prom's theme song might have been. I fondly recalled Rufus Thomas' "Walkin' the Dog" and Sam the Sham's "Wooly Bully", but those could not have been it. Rufus and Sam lacked the requisite sentimentality.

It must have been something by the Righteous Brothers, and in my and my buddies' quest for alcohol that night, it had slipped my memory, Apparently, I cheated myself of that fondest of high school memories. On the other hand, "Walkin' the Dog" remains eligible as "Our Song" should I ever need one.

No comments:

Post a Comment