Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Prom Legend

Google earns its billions with those one-line ads personalized by picking key words out of our searches and e-mails. Somehow, Google determined that I was in the market for prom-related merchandise (must be my youthful appearance). Yesterday, I found "The Converse Prom Collection - Add Sequins to Your Prom Experience!" above my e-mail inbox.

Now, the only Converse I know are those classic and admittedly ugly sneakers of my youth. How could canvas high-tops sequinned though they be add to the magic of That Special Evening? I clicked on to the link.

Lo and behold, The Converse Prom Collection includes:

High-top Chuck Taylor All-Stars, all canvas and rubber with the beloved ankle bone circle and sequinned to beat the band for $100.

Low-top Chucks, just like the Celtics used to wear except for the sequins at a bargain $85

Patent leather Chucks for the truly fashionable and sequin-phobic at $70

Metallic Chucks for those fearing patent leather up-skirt reflection at $75

What a "spit in the eye of convention" statement it would be to exit the rented limo on Prom Night in a frilly dress, upswept hairdo and "night makeup" in place, shod in Chuck Taylor All-Stars. "I couldn't get my shoes dyed to match my dress in time so I went with the Chucks".

From those seeking Prom Legend status, thank you Converse and thank you Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment