Thursday, January 7, 2010

Lightning Striking Again

What is a better Christmas gift for the cubicle dweller than a desktop calendar? He will think of you every day as he rips off another page and especially when he reveals a little-known fact relevant to the new day.

There are desktop calendars for all interests - those devoted to a particular sports team (On this day, Phillies slugger Willie Montanez personally consumed an entire bag of sunflower seeds) or dog breed (Alsatian mountain hound Fritizie rescued five trapped climbers on Mont Blanc today in 1742).

If you really don't know the calendar recipient, stick with an interest common to everyone - the weather. These are actual weather trivia facts from a 2010 calendar with editorial comment:

Men are the victims of 85% of lightning strikes. (This explains the propagation of the species. Those stupid enough to run about in a thunderstorm do not survive to breed.)

Lightning strike survivors have trouble with short term memory. (What is that flash in the sky? Is it dangerous? Should I let go of this tall pointed metal object?)

Lightining may strike the same place repeatedly in a few seconds. ( My long term memory tells me that lightning never strikes twice in the same place. C-R-A-C-K! What was I saying?)

The odds of being struck by lightning are about 1 in 800,000. (My short term memory is coming back. I'm a guy so those odds are actually 1 in 400,000. If I live to be 80 years old, that's about 30,000 days so my actual odds of being struck by lightning in any particular day are about 1 in 13!)

That is scary. Next year, I want the desktop calendar with facts about cuddly kittens.

No comments:

Post a Comment