Friday, January 22, 2010

What You Need To Know

A popular newscast feature is the Consumer Watchdog. "What You Need To Know".

The intrepid reporters from the Today Show came up with a good one this morning. After an exhaustive investigation, they determined that mail-in buyers pay only about 30% of the true value for their "unwanted gold and jewelry" and that some sellers don't even get their stuff back if they refuse the deal with the buyer claiming that "it got lost in the mail".

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, "Duh-oh!". It's hard to believe that I would get more for my unwanted gold if I made the effort to go to more than one buyer or if I avoided the middle man and went directly to a smelter. Further, it's hard to believe that a package addressed to "Cash for Gold" or returned from the same outfit would be an attractive pilfering target for the local Artful Dodger.

"Well, Martha, it's time to sell the family car. I'll just mail its title documents to the outfit that has the most commercials on TV and accept whatever they're willing to pay me for it. I'll make it easier for them to pick it up by leaving it outside with the keys in the ignition."

"I don't know, George. The Today Show's Consumer Watchdog says we might get a better deal if we shop it around a little. Who knew?"

What you need to know, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment