Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Man Pak

Jerry Seinfeld once noted that men continue washing and re-wearing their underwear until "it vaporizes into tiny invisible bubbles". I'm sure that if I looked hard enough in my underwear drawer, I'd find some articles still with my name tags sewn on from when I first went away to summer camp. Hey, nobody sees it and as long as it still fits, why not wear it?

An entrepreneur has taken advantage of this testosterone-fueled quirk and offers the "Man Pak". For a mere $33, he ships a sufficient quantity of underwear and socks to keep a man relatively clean and sanitary for three months. On second thought, the entrepreneur is undoubtedly female. Guys don't care about boxers with sagging waistbands, tee-shirts with stains from that barbecue back in '98, or socks washed to near transparency. Women, on the other hand, remember Mom's age-old advice - "Always wear clean (and intact) underwear. What if you're taken to the hospital?"

I heard of the "Man Pak" on Sports Radio. It is probably a marketing faux pas to advertise a product primarily purchased by women on male-dominated media. I would recommend a "Man Pak" commercial on a female-oriented TV show like "The View". The camera zooms in on a typically busy hospital Emergency Room. An ambulance pulls up and a man is brought in on a stretcher accompanied by his wife. The wife frantically seeks out a nurse. "You must help my husband. We were in a horrible accident!"

The nurse races over to the stretcher and removes the man's shirt. The camera zooms in on DIRTY UNDERWEAR. "Sorry, M'am. We are awfully busy right now and your husband is wearing dirty underwear. We must treat these people with head colds, hangnails AND CLEAN UNDERWEAR first. Just keep finger pressure on that spurting artery until we get to him."

The wife looks to the camera and states, "If only I'd gotten him a Man Pak."

No comments:

Post a Comment